A properly working air conditioning system keeps you and all the members of your household cool and comfortable regardless of outside temperatures or humidity levels.
But when your air conditioner malfunctions or fails to keep up with your family’s needs, how do you know if it’s time for HVAC repairs or AC equipment replacement? Here are some considerations to keep in mind.
Are Repairs Feasible?
In some instances, a simple fix will take care of the problem and get your indoor temperatures back to cool and comfortable levels. If this is the case, it makes sense to go ahead and schedule repairs.
But there are situations when repairs aren’t quite enough. They may take care of your immediate problem for a while, but the unit is too overworked, outdated, or inefficient to last much longer. In such cases, it might be time to start thinking about HVAC replacement.
When you need repairs or replacement, it’s important to talk with your heating and cooling technician to see what’s feasible. Find out all the pros and cons of your repair needs. Can repairs be made? If so, will they last? Or will new equipment need to be purchased six months down the road? These are some of the questions to ask when talking with your HVAC specialist and deciding which way to go.
Is It Time For Replacement?
There are cases when it’s a clear-cut decision to opt for AC equipment replacement, and there are instances when it’s hard to make that call.
These are just some scenarios where equipment replacement might be the right choice:
- Repairs will be costly, and that money might be better spent towards buying new equipment
- Your current AC system can be fixed, but it’s old and may not have much life left
- Even if repairs can be made, your air conditioner has been requiring way too much upkeep
- Your electricity bills have been climbing because you’ve been having to use your air conditioner more – maybe it’s time for a more energy efficient HVAC system
It’s also important to know that sometimes, it’s not an either-or situation. You may not have to select just repairs or just replacement. There are cases when a hybrid approach works. Your HVAC technician may be able to do repairs to fix a problem while also replacing some pieces of equipment to provide you with an improved cooling system.
When To Choose AC Equipment Replacement
When debating whether to have repairs done or go with AC equipment replacement, it’s important to make an informed decision. Talk with your tech to get a better grasp of what the problem is. Find out what all your options are and how much each will cost.
If it’s a more complex problem, weigh all factors carefully, including service and replacement costs, your family’s comfort, your current utility bills, the state of your equipment, and the improvements a new system would provide, before deciding if you should replace your HVAC system.
You may choose HVAC replacement if:
- Repairs might fix some problems but not all the issues you’ve been experiencing with your cooling system
- Your current air conditioner doesn’t cool your entire home, even when it’s delivering at its best performance
- Your equipment is noisy and you’re ready for a quieter model
- Your system is reaching the end of its expected lifespan
- Great deals are available on AC equipment replacement products and services
- Affordable financing options let you replace your outdated system with a better, quieter, higher performing, and more energy efficient air conditioning solution
The bottom line is that sometimes repairs are necessary, but other times there is no point in making repairs if the smarter option is to go ahead and replace your old, malfunctioning, or inferior equipment with something much more reliable.
What To Ask Your HVAC Technician
Let your HVAC technician be your ally. Heating and cooling specialists have in-depth knowledge born from training and hands-on practice. They can provide proven insights to help you make the right decision.
Questions to ask your tech include:
- What repairs are needed? Will this fix the problem? Will it create new ones?
- What’s the scope of the repair work required? How much will it cost?
- What other problems might I encounter down the road? When could these issues surface?
- Do you recommend replacing the equipment? Why? How would I benefit from AC equipment replacement?
- What specific improvements would I get from new equipment?
- How much would it cost to replace the system? Do you offer deals, specials, or financing?
- How long is the new system expected to last? Will it be more efficient? Will it save me money on utility bills?
For Help In The Houston Area
If your air conditioner isn’t working right and you’d like to talk with a knowledgeable technician about repairing or replacing your heating & cooling system, give us a call. We serve communities in the greater Houston area, including Cypress and Sugar Land. Contact American Comfort Experts for quality HVAC replacement and repair services delivered by competent technicians who care about doing a good job for you.